How will I pay rent this month?
I need money for gas!
Ahhh! My cell phone bill!
It is inevitable, that there will be a time while in Los Angeles, that you will run into a crunch for money. Especially, if your career is centered in the creative industry. Inconsistent paychecks and consistent bills can take a toll on the best of us. So, I decided to compile a list of ways to make quick money when strapped for cash in LA.
Note: These are ways to make quick money in LA. I would not treat them as a steady source of income but instead to help you get out of a tight situation.
- Elance– Is a platform for online employment. This is a great place to find contract work If you have skills in writing, web developing, design, admin, or sales. And the best part is you get to work from home and avoid the LA traffic!
- Craigslist Gigs– Do you see anything you may be able to perform? There are thousands of gigs listed here on a weekly basis. From a extra in a movie to a bartender at a special event in the Hollywood Hills. They have it all
- Ultimate Staffing– This is where I landed my first gig in LA. My first assignment was working on the studio lots of 20th Century Fox. It was an awesome experience.
- Ad Personnel/VNH Staffing– Looking for a temp job in the entertainment industry? They staff positions in all the major entertainment companies in LA such as William Morris, CAA, Sony and many others…
- Sell your clothes– Do you have nice designer clothes that you don’t wear anymore? Companies like Buffalo Exchange and Crossroads Trading Co. offer to buy your clothes at a reasonable price.